Loading Website ...

Questions & AnswersCategory: QuestionsHow to address living in Canada but receiving pay from a U.S. company.
Anonymous asked 2 years ago

Hi. I have not lived in the U.S. since 1993. Grew up in Montana however because my parents were dual they had all their children in Canada so I have a Canadian birth certificate and a U.S. certificate of citizenship. I have not filed U.S. taxes since 1993. Just this year I was taken on by a U.S. company to provide training in various locations. I have completed one training and now need to get paid. There is some confusion on what forms I need to complete. They are asking me to complete a W-9 for U.S. I do have a SSN. Will I be required to pay U.S. taxes on this income? Will there be deductions take before I received payment? Will this potentially trigger the U.S. to ask me for back taxes? What are your suggestions and which forms should I complete for this company? Thanks.

1 Answers
Phil HoganPhil Hogan Staff answered 2 years ago

Hi Wally
This could get tricky. If you are in fact a US citizen you would be required to file US tax returns even though you are not living in the U.S.
I would be careful about sending in a W9 without getting fully caught up on your US tax returns. Any reporting may trigger red flags at the IRS.
Please give me a call at the office at 250-381-2400 and I can fill you in on the details.

Your Answer