Our cross border tax specialists respond to your company’s needs.
We make sure that your cross border taxes are done right the first time. At Hutcheson & Co. we stay up to date with the ever changing world of cross border tax laws. We will work with you to make sure that you comply with all relevant tax requirements. Hutcheson & Co. is one of the few Chartered Professional Accounting offices in Canada that specialize in Canada-US tax planning and preparation. Our team of dedicated professionals will help file your US tax returns and related cross border filings.
Every year Hutcheson and Co. files over 700 US income tax returns for clients in Victoria BC and throughout Canada, positioning Hutcheson as one of the predominant cross border tax firms on Vancouver Island and Canada.
Since 1987 Hutcheson & Co. has worked with hundreds of Canadian and U.S. companies preparing their annual 1040 and Canadian returns. We help individuals and companies avoid double-taxation while minimizing overall taxes payable With constantly changing laws and regulations, entrusting your cross border tax services to our qualified team at Hutcheson & Co. saves you both time and money. In addition to corporate cross border tax services, Hutcheson & Co. also provides Canadian residents and U.S. citizens with non-resident tax filing services.
These services include but not limited to:
US Personal Income Tax Compliance Services
- U.S. federal 1040 & state personal income tax returns for U.S. persons including various annual information returns forms such as 5471s, 3520/3520As and 8621s
- U.S. federal 1040NR & state non-resident alien income tax returns
- U.S. federal 706 estate & 709 gift tax returns
- U.S. expatriation tax returns
- U.S. federal 1041 & state income tax returns for estates & trusts
- Annual filing of form FinCen 114 (FBAR) with Department of U.S. Treasury
- Preparation of U.S. annual information forms such as W-2s/W-3, 1099-Misc, 1042-S and 8288/8288-A (FIRPTA tax withholdings)
- U.S. voluntary disclosure programs for non-compliant U.S. taxpayers such as Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures (Domestic & Offshore) & Relief Procedures for Certain Former Citizens
- Delinquent International Information Return Submission Procedures (“DIIRSPs”) & Delinquent FBAR Submission Procedures (“DFSPs”)
- Representation and liaison with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and various state tax authorities (including California Franchise Board (CFB) and New York State Department of Finance & Taxation) to resolve the tax disputes and respond to tax audits
US Personal Income Tax Planning & Consulting Services
- Consultation on various U.S-Canada cross border tax issues
- U.S. estate & gift tax planning and analysis of corresponding tax implications for Canadian purposes
- U.S. expatriation tax planning
- U.S. pre-expatriation planning to eliminate the covered expatriate status
- U.S. cross-border financial planning
- U.S. cross-border investment planning including investment in U.S. real property under FIRPTA
- U.S. tax consequences to U.S. persons owning RRSP/RESP/TFSA/Mutual funds in Canada
- US tax consequences to U.S. persons living in Canada and owning shares in Canadian private corporations including 951A GILTI income, Subpart F income and PFIC issues
- In-depth analysis of U.S. Canada Tax Treaty applications to U.S. persons living in Canada
- Proactive tax and financial planning for U.S. persons immigrating to Canada
US Corporate Tax Compliance Services
- U.S. federal 1120/1120-F and state corporate income tax returns for U.S. corporations and foreign corporations in Canada
- U.S. federal 1065 and state partnership income tax returns for U.S. partnerships and foreign partnerships in Canada
- Filings of U.S. federal elections under U.S.-Canada Tax Treaty
- Preparation of various information return forms including tax withholding slips
- Planning and analysis of transactions subject to U.S. federal and state withholding taxes
- Representation and liaison with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and various state tax authorities (including California Franchise Board (CFB) and New York State Department of Finance & Taxation) to resolve the tax disputes and respond to the tax audits
US Corporate Tax Planning & Consulting Services
- Consultation on cross-border business structuring including assistance in setup of U.S. entities such as LLCs and C-Corps in U.S.
- Canadian tax consequences to U.S. persons and Canadians owning the US entities including foreign affiliate analysis
- Corporate tax and investment planning for the foreign corporations investing in U.S. real property under FIRPTA
- Analysis of permanent establishment (PE) under U.S.-Canada Tax Treaty
- Analysis of state economic nexus for state corporate income and sales taxes
If you would like to speak with a member of the Hutcheson & Co. team about your corporate or personal cross border tax requirements, contact us today!