Loading Website ...

As the end of 2014 quickly approaches, Hutcheson & Co. LLP is always here to advise you on the best ways to optimize your overall income taxes for 2014.

In the world of tax it is always better to be proactive rather than reactive. With this in mind taxpayers should consider tax planning as part of their overall financial plan and address it on an ongoing basis. This approach help ensures that every taxpayers unique situation is tailored to minimize their tax liability as much as possible. This is especially true for any major transactions. Major transactions should be reviewed in advance by a qualified professional to ensure that all your tax considerations are taken into account.Tax-Planning

However, many taxpayers haven’t developed a tax plan or actively managed their tax situation until they start receiving their tax slips in the mail (T4’s, T5’s, etc.). If this sounds familiar, don’t worry because below we have listed a number of common steps and ideas individuals can use to turn their tax situation from a reactive one to a proactive one and minimize their 2014 taxes.

Not all of the items listed will be appropriate for each taxpayers situation, so it is important to contact one of our qualified professionals to determine which ones will work best for you.


1) Timing of Income

Defer the receipt of certain employment income (ex. bonus) if your marginal tax rate is going to be higher in 2014 than in 2015, or accelerate receipts if your marginal tax rate is going to be lower in 2014 than in 2015.

2) Moving Expenses

If you moved to a new home for work or to establish a new business your moving expenses may be deductible. Make sure to keep all relevant receipts.

3) Unused and Unclaimed Tax Credits

Review your prior year return to see if you have any unused and unclaimed tax credits and/or deductions that can be used in the current year. If you haven’t done so yet, you can sign up for a CRA online account here.

4) Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSPs)

Reduce you taxable income and your overall taxes payable by taking advantage of RRSP contributions. The maximum RRSP deduction limit for 2014 is $24,270 and the 2014 tax deadline for contributing to your RRSP is March 2, 2015.

5) Tax Free Savings Account (TFSA)

If you are 18 or older and a Canadian resident, maximize your contributions to your TFSA. Contributions to your TFSA are not tax deductible, but income earned and withdrawals from it are tax free. For 2013, you can contribute up to $5,500 to your TFSA. TFSA rules differ for US Citizens living in Canada, please contact your tax professional for clarifications of these rules.

6) Deductible Expenses

Are you maximizing the deductions available to you on schedule 4 of your Canadian tax return? You can potentially claim the following expenses and reduce your taxable income and overall taxes payable:

  • Investment advisory fees charged on your non-registered investment accounts;
  • Under certain circumstances you can claim the fees paid to prepare your income tax return;
  • Most interest paid on money borrowed for investment purposes;
  • Legal fees paid relating to support payments that your current or former spouse or common-law partner, or the natural parent of your child, will have to pay you.

7) Charitable Donations

Donations made to eligible charities can be claimed as non-refundable tax credits on your return.

8) Home Office

If you work out of your home you may be able to deduct certain expenses related to your home office.

9) Company Car

Keep an automobile logbook to support motor vehicle expenses and business and personal KMs driven in case the CRA comes asking. Also, minimize your personal usage to reduce your operating cost benefit and standby charge.

10) Accrued Capital Losses and/or Gains

Consider selling securities with accrued capital losses to offset any capital gains realized in the current year or previous three years.

11) Stock Exchange Cut-Off

Consult with your investment adviser to determine the last day in which the sale of a security will be considered a 2014 transaction for tax purposes.

12) Form T1135

Check to see if you are required to file Form T1135. If so, gather the information early to avoid preparing it just before its due. There is no extension being granted this year, so the form is due along with your tax return.

Married, Common Law and Parents

13) Income Splitting

If you have income to invest and a spouse is in a lower tax bracket consider an income-splitting plan.

14) Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)

If you have a child or grandchild consider setting up an RESP. Maximize your annual contributions to receive the maximum lifetime Canada education savings grant of $7,200. If you reside in B.C., ensure that the RESP receives the provinces one-time grant of $1,200 if the beneficiary is born after 2006.

15) Child Care Expenses

Pay all child care expenses for 2014 by December 31, 2014 and keep the receipts. Eligible child care expenses can be claimed on your tax return.

16) Children’s Fitness and Arts Credits

If your child is enrolled in eligible fitness and arts programs and activities you may be eligible to claim the federal and provincial fitness and arts tax credits.


17) Tuition and Textbook Tax Credits

If you attended post-secondary school you may be eligible for the federal and provincial tax credits. If you have claimed them in the past, don’t forget to check your prior year tax return carryforward summary to ensure that any unused amounts are carried forward into 2014.

  • If you are unable to use your education, tuition or textbook tax credits consider transferring them to your spouse, parent or grandparent (subject to limitations).

18) Student Loan Interest

Interest paid on student can be claimed on your tax return.

19) Moving expenses

If you moved to attend post secondary school, the moving expenses may be deductible.


20) Old Age Security (OAS)

Ensure that your net income is below the threshold, so that your OAS payments are not clawed back. If your OAS payments are being clawed back, consider ways to reduce or defer your income, so you can continue to receive this pension.

21) Canada Pension Plan (CPP)

Consider splitting CPP payments with your spouse by requesting to share the payments. If you have haven’t started to receive CPP payments determine the best time to start receiving payments. If you delay payments until you are 65 the payments are increased.

22) Registered Retirement Income Plan (RRSP and RRIF)

If you turn 71 in 2013, you are required to wind up your RRSP by the end of the year.

  • If you turn 71 during the year you can contribute to your RRSP until December 31, 2014.
  • If you have unused contribution room and your spouse is under 71, consider contributing to your spouse’s RRSP.
  • Continue to defer taxes on your RRSP by transferring it into a Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF) or a life income fund.

23) Pension Income

If you have pension income (ex. from and RPP, RRIF or RRSP) consider allocating up to half of this income to your spouse or common-law partner.

The above list is not exhausted and will not be applicable to all individuals, so please ensure that proper advice is sought. The professionals at Hutcheson & Co. LLP are always available for a detailed discussion on how you can potentially benefit from some year-end tax planning.

Contact us today to discuss your particular situation.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Rob Brown

Contact Rob Brown

Contact Me

The information contained in this article is for general use only and should not be viewed as professional advice. Accounting and tax rules and regulations regularly change and individuals should contact a competent professional to obtain accounting and tax advice based on their specific situation.


More from this Author

Our dynamic Team are always contributing the latest tips and techniques to keep you in the know with all things tax, accounting, and bookkeeping. See more from this author below.