Loading Website ...

Hi Tony,

I received your name from a friend of ours XXXX XXXXX, who is a client of yours and said you would be able to help me with myUStax questions.

On October 15th (2012), my wife and I purchased a rental property inMaui. Neither of us are US citizens and we are both Canadian citizens. I know I will need to get an ITIN, but I am hoping you can let me know what I will need to do to get one. Are you able to help me with this?

Secondly can you let me know what other tax returns or filings that I will need to complete on an annual basis going forward?

I can be reached at xxx-xxx-xxxx or feel free to reply by email.



Hi Kerry,

Thanks for your email.

We can definitely help you with the application for the ITIN number and yourUStax filings.

To get taxpayer identification numbers (ITIN’s) for you and your wife, you will need to file W7 applications. To do this you will need to provide us basic personal information (Full name, address, date of birth, country of birth, country of citizenship, Passport Number, expiry date and country of issue). You will also need to get a copy of your passport notarized at a Passport Canada office. This will be sent in with the W7 application.

Assuming you rented the property in 2012, you will need to file a US1040-NR return and also a Hawaii N-15 return. Both are due April 15th of the following year; however, there are extensions available for both tax returns, if you are unable to file by that date. Being that the property is in Hawaii, you may also have a requirement to file a GE-1 form for excise taxes.

Generally, you need to file the W7 application with a tax return (1040NR), however, if you require the ITIN for a withholding’s agent in Hawaii and need to obtain the ITIN sooner than later, we can file the W7 separately once you can get us the required information mentioned above. Let us know what you would prefer.

Let me know if you have any further questions.


Tony Theaker


0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Tony Theaker

Contact Tony Theaker

Contact Me

The information contained in this article is for general use only and should not be viewed as professional advice. Accounting and tax rules and regulations regularly change and individuals should contact a competent professional to obtain accounting and tax advice based on their specific situation.


More from this Author

Our dynamic Team are always contributing the latest tips and techniques to keep you in the know with all things tax, accounting, and bookkeeping. See more from this author below.