Loading Website ...

Hi Hutcheson & Co LLP,

I am a US citizen and would like to set up RESPs for my children. Are there any tax consequences in the US if I do this?





Thanks for your question. Generally speaking we don’t recommend that any US person hold an RESP (Registered Education Savings Plan). The main reason being is that the RESP is not recognized as a tax deferred vehicle in the US. Unlike the RRSP and RRIF, whose income is not taxable in the US, so long as the proper annual forms are filed.

Since the IRS does not recognize the RESP as a tax deferred vehicle and there is no election available that allows a US person to defer the income earned in the RESP, any US person who holds RESPs is required to report and will be subject to tax in the US on all income earned in their RESPs for that tax year (i.e. interest, dividends, capital gains, etc.).

There is also significant filing requirements as the RESP is viewed as a foreign trust. Please see our article for further info.

Since you will be taxed in the US on the income earned in the account the tax advantages of the account are essentially eliminated.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t set up an RESP for your children. If you are married to a non-US person you can have them open the account. Under this option, if your non-US spouse holds the account and you do not have signing authority over the account, you would not be required to report the income earned in the account to the US.

If you require any further assistance, please contact one of our experienced professionals.



Rob Brown, CA




0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
1 Comment
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
1 year ago

My wife and I are both Canadian national and have RESP for 2 children one is US/Canadian and other is Canadian only. What are the tax implications for the dual citizen child?

Rob Brown

Contact Rob Brown

Contact Me

The information contained in this article is for general use only and should not be viewed as professional advice. Accounting and tax rules and regulations regularly change and individuals should contact a competent professional to obtain accounting and tax advice based on their specific situation.


More from this Author

Our dynamic Team are always contributing the latest tips and techniques to keep you in the know with all things tax, accounting, and bookkeeping. See more from this author below.