Loading Website ...


I moved up to Canada from the US 20 years ago. I filed US taxes a few years after moving to Canada but I stopped because I thought I didn’t think I still needed to file.

Now I found out that I needed to file US tax the whole time I’ve been in Canada.

I need to go down to the US to visit some family next month and I’m worried that they will either stop me at the border or ask me about my delinquent tax returns.

Is this something I need to be worried about? Have you heard of anyone being stopped at the border because they were not caught up on their tax returns?



We haven’t heard of anyone in particular being stopped at the border because of late tax returns, however I wouldn’t be surprised if we do start hearing these stories considering how much information is now being shared via FATCA by CRA and the IRS.

Best thing to do if you’re a US citizen living in Canada that has needs to catch up on their US returns is to take advantage of the streamlined tax filing program administered by the IRS to help individuals abroad catch up with their late tax returns.

You can read more about the program here and please don’t hesitate to call me at 250-381-2400 to discuss further.



0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Philip Hogan

Contact Philip Hogan

Contact Me

The information contained in this article is for general use only and should not be viewed as professional advice. Accounting and tax rules and regulations regularly change and individuals should contact a competent professional to obtain accounting and tax advice based on their specific situation.


More from this Author

Our dynamic Team are always contributing the latest tips and techniques to keep you in the know with all things tax, accounting, and bookkeeping. See more from this author below.